While enrollment for Medicaid and the Child Health Plan Plus (CHP+) is open year round, individuals and families looking to sign up for private insurance must enroll during the open enrollment period. For 2015, the open enrollment period runs from November 15, 2014 – February 15, 2015. With so many different options and eligibility requirements, signing up for health coverage can be confusing and difficult. Colorado’s Community Health Centers (CHCs) understand that signing up for health insurance for the first time or switching health insurance plans can be intimidating. For this reason, CHCs offer enrollment services during open enrollment and year round to ensure that their patients are receiving the best care and coverage possible.
In November 2014, Colorado Community Health Network’s (CCHN’s) Covering Kids and Families (CKF) team published the Maze, which is a report that analyzes the process for obtaining health insurance in Colorado. While the report concluded that Colorado has made important changes that have improved the enrollment process, many barriers still exist. CHCs offer enrollment services that help address these barriers. Outreach and enrollment (O&E) staff is available at CHCs to provide detailed information about the different insurance options. These staff members can also assist with filling out applications and selecting plans. Additionally, financial screeners can help patients understand which insurance programs they are eligible for. These enrollment services help ensure that CHC patients are not only receiving a high level of care, but also are receiving the health insurance coverage they need.
CHCs offer employment opportunities for health professionals who are interested in assisting patients with signing up for health insurance or understanding their health benefits. If you are interested in starting or furthering a career in outreach and enrollment at a CHC, CKF’s Outreach and Enrollment Toolkit can provide more information about how to get started. O&E professionals work at CHCs in the following capacities:
- Outreach & Enrollment Technicians: raise awareness about options and explain health insurance programs, tax credits, cost sharing, eligibility requirements to patients and assist with application process.
- Financial Screeners: screen patients for eligibility for health insurance programs and other health benefits as well as verifying patients’ insurance status.
- Enrollment Specialists: provide information to patients about their eligibility for programs such as the Colorado Indigent Care Program (CICP), CHP+, Medicaid, and other health benefits.
- Medicaid Application Specialists: perform intakes and process patient applications for the CHP+ and Medicaid programs. Assist patients with completing all required application paperwork.
To learn more about the impact that CHCs have on their communities, please visit CCHN’s website. If you are interested in joining a mission driven team at a Colorado CHC, check out the CHAMPS Job Opportunities Bank, or the current O&E jobs listed below:
- Outreach & Enrollment Technician at Metro Community Provider Network
- Outreach and Enrollment Specialist at Valley Wide Health Systems
- Medicaid Application Specialist at Peak Vista Community Health Centers
- Enrollment Services Specialist at Peak Vista Community Health Centers
- Financial Screener at Clinica Family Health Services